Sabbatical is the greatest thing in the universe.

I have begun to experience just how profoundly relieving a sabbatical period can be. To simply have the calendar free is wonderful. Nothing looms over you. There is no "but I have to go to work later," or things you should be doing because you have projects or assignments due soon. I take things on of my own choosing, and it's a wonderful feeling. I highly recommend finding a way to afford some time for sabbatical.

I've been working on quite a few different projects since I got here. I have my weekly open mic nights, which I prepare 6 or 7 songs for every week, although it's usually polishing up songs I already know. I have started to learn songs from my #1 hits list, to have more songs with mass appeal, for busking. I have been working with another writer to rewrite 6 episodes of a comedy that will be shot in Auckland early next year. I have also been trying to plan some concerts and a tour for when I get back to Saskatoon in April or May. I have a bunch of guitar compositions on the go, as well as a handful of songs. I have also found my first guitar student for early January.

And nobody told me I had to do any of these projects. They are my own. And that is the fundamental difference between sabbatical and work or school.

0 comments:

Post a Comment