Busking vs Marathon

Except for the fact that they are the exact opposite, running a marathon and busking all night are quite similar activities. There are lots of people clumped together at the beginning, and they thin out at the end. Not all people make it to the end. In a marathon, you run past the audience; busking, they run past you. But the visuals are the same. I suspect that you see more drunken audience members while busking than you would at a marathon. I've never had any desire to "attend" a marathon.

Toward the end of busking, your fingers are tired and sore, so you take longer breaks. But then a group of people will come by and encourage you to play a song. It's like cheering you on to the end. You want to quit, but you have to keep going.

It's a really good way to force myself to play a lot. I don't have to be playing terribly difficult stuff. Just as long as I'm playing. I find it much easier to avoid distractions on Cuba Street than in my room where I normally practice. Plus, you get paid to practice. How cool is that?

0 comments:

Post a Comment