It is important to travel once in a while.

It is such a healthy thing to go somwehere away from home until you miss it. Just once in a while, so that you can remember what you miss about home. Because once you have a little time and distance from it all, you start to forget about the things that didn't matter, or which bothered you. And you realize which things you actually miss about home. You get a clear sign of the things you miss, and the things you don't, and it's amazing for self-reflection. You realize what is was about the things you did that you truly enjoyed.

You also gain exposure to new things when you travel. I have started listening to all kinds of new artists since coming to Wellington. I have spent all week listening to Amanda Palmer's album "Who Killed Amanda Palmer." I also cleaned my iPod. I took off everything, and only put music on it which I have recently acquired, focusing on new artists I want to experience, with a very few classic album exceptions. I added Weezer's Pinkerton, because I use it to induce sleep. Not because it's a boring album, but because I have a Pavlovian association between Pinkerton and sleep.

Since I decided to come home early, I have enjoyed myself more. I have relaxed about the whole financial thing, and really taken the time to do the things that interest me. It has been so amazing. I recommend this interesting TED talk, which explains many of the wonderful things I am experiencing on my holiday in New Zealand.

0 comments:

Post a Comment